Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi My hopes were not very high for this one so, for a change, they were exceeded. It's possible that the entirety of the 2 stars are owed to how much I liked the main love interest. There were times when I almost liked the book as a whole. Almost.Based on the ratings from my GoodReads friends, there are really divided feelings on this book and I think it comes down to whether or not the writing style is going to annoy the hell out of you.Mafi, in trying to establish the fragility of the MC's sanity, employs a style like this:"Juliette?" He doesn't move an inch. His gaze is fixed on me: calm, unflappable; 2 buckets of river water at midnight. I'd like to cry into his eyes. Er, okay..."Juliette--" His body presses closer and I realized I'm paying attention to nothing but the dandelions blowing wishes in my lungs.Right...Her life is so incredibly unbearable so immensely multifaceted to glamorous for the leashed legacy of her loins to understand.The "leashed legacy of her loins"??? Seriously???Some people find this very beautiful and deep. I am not one of them. The romance was kind of insta-love. I understand that the characters have a history but they never even spoke to each other before the events of the book. Even so, the romance is probably the most enjoyable aspect of the story. Adam is really lovely and the make out scenes are steamy! I still don't understand, like Juliette, why he likes her so much. At least she wonders about it too. "Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior." What choice? This blurb makes it out to seem like this is the central conflict of the book. Yeah, no. It is basically how she is trying to escape the clutches of an obsessive, abusive, manipulator who wants her to work for him as his weapon. At no point (thankfully) does she ever think "Hmm...perhaps I will work for this abusive manipulator!" But she also doesn't have to. Pretty quickly after she's been put in this situation she's offered an escape route. There's very little story going on for how many words this book contains.Now, let's talk about the main villain, Warner. It's totally acceptable that Warner is the bad guy in this story and that Juliette is not attracted to him because he is 100% vile. Here are some samplings of his vileness:Content note: some of these quotes describe assault and manipulationWarner knows I don't have a choice. He wants to force me into another situation where he can see the impact of my abilities, and he has no problem torturing an innocent child to get it.Hey, the removal of women's agency involving the torture of a toddler? What a great guy!I only know I want to feel Warner's neck snap between my own two hands. I want him to experience the same terror he just inflicted upon a child. I want to watch him die. That is an appropriate response, Juliette. Good job."What are you doing here?" I need him to stop staring at me, I need him to stop drinking in the details of my existence.But he doesn't, of course.He hooks a finger in the rip close to the drop-waist of my dress and I bite back a scream. "This just won't do." "It's fine--" He tugs so hard on the rip that it splits open the fabric and creates a slit up the side of my leg. "That's a bit better." "What are you doing--" His hands snake up my waist and clamp my arms in place and I know I need to defend myself but I'm frozen and I want to scream but my voice is broken broken broken. I'm a ragged breath of desperation.Awesome. That's just awesome. He literally assaults her.He can never never never know that I can touch him. I can only imagine what he'd do if he had access to my body.That was all pretty bad, right? Yeah...I hate that the villain is sexually manipulative and abusive. I don't even like fictional women, especially a teen, being abused. Now, imagine how I felt when, upon investigating this book's follow up, Unravel Me, I discovered that Warner becomes a love interest. That's right, a love triangle between Juliette, Adam and Warner.Do you see up there all about how Warner makes Juliette feel? Here are some Adam samplings:He's kissing away the pain, the hurt, the years of self-loathing, the insecurities, the dashed hopes for the future I always pictured as obsolete. He's lighting me on fire, burning away the torture of Warner's games, the anguish that poisons me every single day. The intensity of our bodies could shatter these glass walls.Well, that is just wonderful."You should have a choice. You should always have a choice. And it's your choice if you want to be with me."That is him apologizing and referring to the fact that he referred to Juliette as his girlfriend before he asked her. Um, yes, Adam. You are a nice and good boy.Are you kidding me, Mafi? What the hell?!? For gods sake, be more responsible in the message you're sending in books that target young women. Seriously, look at the quotes re: Warner and the quotes re: Adam. It is absolutely disgusting that Warner could become a love interest. Younger readers, Warner is an abusive character. Even if in the second book he's somehow redeemed, or we learn to understand "why he is the way he is", it does not make up for his actions in Shatter Me. It is absolutely not okay if a boy does the things that Warner does to Juliette to you or makes you feel the same way. It is 100% plain and simple abuse and is not to be tolerated. It is a truly dangerous and irresponsible message the author has chosen to send to you.Thanks to the obviously disturbing and irresponsible messaging, the annoying writing style, the lack of character development in the MC, and the insta-ish romance, this could've been so much better and it just...wasn't. There are so many great books out there to read that, even though this isn't horrible, I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel very strongly that you'd enjoy it.